Moong Dal (whole) 30 gms.
Masoor Dal (whole) 30 gms.
Urad Dal (whole) 30 gms.
Channa Dal 30 gms.
Tur Dal 30 gms.
Black Cumin Seeds 3 gms.
Onions 50 gms.
Coriander Powder 10 gms.
Red Chili Powder 3 gms.
Turmeric Powder 3 gms.
Cumin seeds 5 gms.
Fennel Powder To taste
Coriander 20 gms.
Ghee 75 gms.
Salt As required
For the Tempering:
White Butter 60 gms.
Tomatoes 60 gms.
Yogurt 60 gms.
Garam masala 3 gms.
1. Pick and wash the lentils in running water and soak for an hour, drain and keep aside.
2. Chop the onions and clean, wash and chop the coriander.
3. Wash and finely chop the tomatoes and whisk the yogurt in a bowl.
4. Heat the ghee in a handi, add cumin seeds and saute over medium heat until they begin to crackle.
5. Add onions, saute until brown, add lentils and stir for 4-5 minutes.
6. Then add water, bring to a boil, now add coriander powder, red chilies, Turmeric powder and salt and cover and simmer until lentils are cooked.
7. Mash the lentils lightly against the sides with a spoon.
8. Sprinkle cumin and fennel powder, stir for 2-3 minutes.
9. To prepare the tempering, melt butter in a kadhai, add tomatoes, yogurt and garam masala, and saute on medium heat until the fat leaves the sides.
10. Put in the lentils and stir for 3-4 minutes.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves and this can be served with Phulkas.