Rice 1 cups
Green moong dal 1 cups
Onion (large) 2 no.
Potatoes (small) 2 no.
Coconut (2″ piece) 1 no.
Turmeric powder 1 tsp.
Red chili powder 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds 1 tsp.
Garam masala 1 tsp.
Garlic 6 cloves
Ginger 1 piece
Green chilies 5-6 nos.
Coriander leaves ½ bunch
Ghee As requried
Oil As requried
Salt To taste
1. Wash and soak the dal and rice, chop onion and green chilies finely.
2. Mince the coriander leaves, ginger and garlic.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes.
4. Grind the coconut piece to a fine paste.
5. Fry onions in a combination of 1 tablespoon ghee-1 tablespoon oil.
6. When the onions are light brown add the minced garlic, ginger and green chilies.
7. Then add the garam masala together with the ground coconut.
8. Fry for a while, put in the rice and dal and fry both till crisp.
9. Pour in warm water till it is about 2 inches above the level of the rice. If the water dries up, more warm water may be added.
10. Add potato cubes and salt.
11. When the water starts bubbling, lower the heat and simmer till rice and dal are cooked.
12. Sprinkle coriander leaves on top before serving.