Bengal Gram 1 cup.
Cooking Oil or Ghee 2 tbsp.
Seasoning – 2 types.
a) Panch Phoron 1 tsp.
Red Chili Powder 1 tsp.
b) Cinnamon (Pounded lightly) ½”
Cardamoms 2 nos.
Cloves 2 nos.
Bay leaf 1 no.
Cumin powder (finely ground roasted) 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp.
Sugar (optional) As required
Jeera Powder (roasted optional) As required
Salt To taste
1. Boil Bengal gram dal with salt, turmeric powder, and 5 cups water.
2. When dal is cooked, but not dissolved, remove from fire.
3. Heat ghee or oil and (a) fry panch phoron till it sputters, add red chilies, and fry till it becomes dark red or (b) fry red chilies, add pounded spices and bay leaf and fry little.
4. Pour fried seasoning into hot dal and mix thoroughly.
5. Add sugar (optional), and sprinkle roasted jeera powder (optional).
6. Stir and serve.