Prep Time : 6-10 minutes
Cook time : 21-25 minutes
Serve : 4
Brinjal 2 medium
Split Bengal Gram to taste
Oil 3 teaspoon
Asafoetida ½ teaspoon
Black grams split skinless 2 teaspoons
Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) ¼ teaspoon
Dried red chillies Seeded 3-4
Dried coconut ( khopra) Grated 2 tablespoons
Tamarind paste 1 tablespoon
Sugar 1 teaspoon
1. Cut the brinjals into small cubes and keep them soaked in water with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
2. Squeeze to remove excess moisture and set aside on a plate.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add mustard seeds and asafoetida and let the seeds splutter.
4. Add black gram and saute till they are lightly browned. Add fenugreek seeds and red chillies and saute till fragrant.
5. Add brinjals and grated coconut and saute till brinjals are well fried. Add salt and mix well.
6. Let the mixture cool. Grind with tamarind paste and sugar without adding any water till smooth. Adjust salt.
7. Serve as an accompaniment.